Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Star Trek star complains of cut lines in pal's wedding ceremony.

Walter Koenig, famous for his portrayal of Mr Chekhov in the Star Trek film and television series has complained that lines from a speech to be given by the actor at fellow Trek star George Takei's wedding were cut just minutes before the ceremony. Koening acted as best man in the wedding between Mr Sulu star George Takei and his partner Brad Altman - gay weddings were legalised earlier this year throughout the state of California. The ceremony was also attended by Star Trek stars Leonard Nimoy and Nichelle Nichols - although William Shatner was notably absent.


Speaking about the controversy, Koenig said "I don't want to make too big a fuss about it, as this was George's big day. Basically, we agreed that I would give a speech before the wedding, and I spent quite a lot of time preparing it. But when I arrived, I was told that it had been cut down to just one line because they wanted to spend more of the ceremony focusing on George and Brad." Koenig also insists the controversy is being overhyped by the media, which has been keen to point similarities between this experience and his small role in the Star Trek series, often made smaller at the last minute. "That is silly," said Koenig "I mean, George still let me say more than just 'Aye Keptin' so I'm thrilled!"

No comments:

Post a Comment